Many people ask, “Can I discharge income taxes in bankruptcy and, if so, how?”
Contrary to popular belief, certain income tax debts are dischargeable through bankruptcy provided they meet specific requirements. Filing bankruptcy in order to obtain relief from other debts can enable you to come back into compliance with the IRS and your state taxing authority. You may be able to avoid IRS collection actions such as wage garnishment, IRS and state tax liens, and IRS levies on your real and personal property. Filing bankruptcy with the guidance of our tax attorneys can discharge the taxes and may prevent criminal prosecution.
McCauley Law Offices Is Here To Answer Your Questions About Taxes And Bankruptcy
If you owe income, business or other taxes, if your debts are mounting, and you are considering bankruptcy, it is imperative to be represented by McCauley Law Offices. We are uniquely positioned to evaluate your overall financial situation and help you meet the specific time constraints set by law. Let our experienced lawyers help you make the best possible decision for your financial future.
Assessment Of Your Options For Dealing With Tax Debt And Creditors
Our tax lawyers are prepared to assess all aspects of your financial situation and help you:
- Decide whether filing Chapter 7 or Chapter 13 bankruptcy is the right step for you, given your existing financial liabilities and/or tax debt.
- Determine how much, if any, of your tax liability may be dischargeable through bankruptcy.
- Negotiate payment plans with creditors other than the IRS or state taxing authorities.
- Assess whether non-bankruptcy alternatives for tax resolution, such as negotiation of an installment agreement, IRS penalty abatement, or an Offer in Compromise would provide a better resolution for your tax debt.
- Resourceful Attorneys Helping People Return To Financial Stability
The IRS and state tax agencies are “priority creditors” in a bankruptcy case. Complex laws and conditions may enter into your ability to discharge tax debt, penalties and interest through bankruptcy. To discuss your debt relief needs, including all your tax-related concerns with a dedicated lawyer focused on protecting your interests, call our firm today.
We solve IRS problems and “tax jams.” We stop IRS levies and release IRS tax liens. Best of all, we explain tax compliance. Call for a free initial consultation at 610-388-4474.